If you want to arrange a real holiday for your loved ones, then you can't do without a real live Christmas tree. So that your Christmas tree does not crumble even before the New Year and retains freshness and aroma for as long as possible, you need to properly care for it.
If you want to arrange a real holiday for your loved ones, then you can't do without a real live Christmas tree. So that your Christmas tree does not crumble even before the New Year and retains freshness and aroma for as long as possible, you need to properly care for it
Traditionally, our spruces and pines are cut in the 10th of December, and imported - from the end of November. To test the "freshness" of a tree, break off a small branch. If it breaks off easily and with a bang, then the tree is dry and was cut down a month before the holidays or experienced a sharp temperature fluctuation. The branches of a fresh Christmas tree are elastic and it will not be easy to break them off.
- The color of the needles of a Russian Christmas tree should be bright green.
- The girth of the trunk should be at least 6 centimeters, a thin trunk is a sign of a sick tree.
- If you grind fresh needles, your fingers will become oily and you will smell the needles. If the needles are dry and odorless to the touch, then the tree is frostbite.
- If the tree is slightly swayed, it should not crumble.
- Pay attention to whether the log house is fresh.
How to care?
- If you bought a Christmas tree in advance, a few days before the holiday, put the tree on the balcony or in a cool dark place in a bucket of water.
- Before you set up the tree, cut a few inches from the end of the trunk. This will help open the pores of the wood so that it can absorb moisture.
- The lower the temperature and the higher the humidity in the room, the longer the fresh festive look of the tree will last.
- Try to keep the tree away from the battery.
- Water your spruce tree as often as you water houseplants.
- Pine needles can be sprayed with a spray bottle.
- In a pot or in a bucket where the Christmas tree will stand, you can also pour sand, which then must be regularly moistened with water.
- It is also recommended to add cut flower liquid to the water, which you can easily buy at any flower shop.
What do Christmas markets offer?
Fir Normandy or Danish Christmas tree is especially fluffy. Fir needles are flat, long and soft, their upper surface is painted deep green, and the lower one has two light stripes. Thanks to these stripes, the tree appears silvery when changing the angle of view. Norman firs are grown in nurseries, and are designed specifically for the New Year and Christmas holidays. Can last 7-10 weeks and stay fluffy and fresh.
This is a classic Christmas tree commonly sold at Christmas markets. Norway spruce is heterogeneous in appearance, which is due to the different types of its branching. The location of the branches on them is always asymmetrical, and the branches themselves are quite small. Light green needles are short and stiff. A good "fresh" tree can stand until the end of January, however, then it will fall off sharply, so it is important not to miss the moment. The domestic Christmas tree has the strongest coniferous aroma, so many people choose the Russian Christmas tree.
The classic Christmas pine is extremely popular in the Czech Republic. The crown is a regular cone. Compared to spruce, it is better kept warm. The needles are large and fall less than those of a Christmas tree, and they are also easier to clean. Recently, an increasing number of buyers prefer black pine. Compared to common pine, the needles are longer and tighter, and the crown is stronger and wider. Usually, it is a rich dark green color.
Prickly spruce - Picea pungens
This tree is native to North America. Available in several colors.
- from dark green to silver. The needles are very prickly, but keep a fresh look for a long time and do not fall off for a long time.
Christmas trees in tubs
If you do not want to destroy the tree, you can buy a Christmas tree in a container with nutrient soil. Spruce in a container can be installed in a room or office, or used to decorate the entrance. The main thing is not to forget to water the tree. Trees in containers have a completely preserved root system, so at the end of the holidays they can be planted in the garden, in a flower bed, or left to grow until next year in a pot.