By the beginning of spring, many of us are not in the best shape. But it is in our power to improve well-being: we just need to put our hands on it!
Feeling irritated, nervous and unable to relax? This is not surprising, because the typical lifestyle of an urban person with its constant overloads, no matter what they are caused by - work, household chores, and even the organization of vacations and holidays - is in many ways harmful to he alth. Overloads provoke stress, and it, in turn, serves as a “trigger” for various diseases. Our experts have selected some simple yet powerful methods to help relieve tension and pain in the parts of the body that need it most.
Massage your temples and neck
Mix 2 drops each of lavender and peppermint oils with 1 tbsp. spoon (10 ml) of unscented body lotion. Massage the temples and back of the neck with this mixture. Touch your cheeks (see photo) and inhale the aroma of oils left on your fingers.
Knock your forehead
Headaches can be the result of tension in the eye muscles. To relax them, gently tapping with your fingertips (as if you are applying eye cream) in the area around the temples, eyes and eyebrows - where the bones of the forehead begin.
Lie in the dark
Make an infusion of 1 tbsp. tablespoons of dried lavender in 1 liter of boiling water and cover with a lid. Moisten a soft cloth in a warm infusion and lie down in a dark room for 10-20 minutes, closing your eyes, with a compress on your forehead. Headache can also occur due to a lack of fluid, so as a preventive measure, it is recommended to drink 6-8 glasses of water per day.
Find Inner Peace: Facial Self-Massage
- Lying in a warm bath, touch your temples with straightened fingers. Close your eyes and take a deep breath 2-3 times, mentally concentrating on your fingertips.
- Press your fingers to your temples, gradually increasing the pressure. Release the pressure as you inhale. Repeat 3 times.
- Press your fingers to your temples again, do not ease the pressure on them. Make five slow, point circular movements with your fingertips, trying not to move the skin, but to "penetrate" into the deeper subcutaneous layers.
- Cover your face with your hands and take a deep breath.
Sore legs and feet
When you have to stand or walk for a long time, there is a feeling of "burning" feet, as well as swelling and aching pain in the legs. These simple ways will help you relieve pain and discomfort.
Aromatherapy for feet
Mix 3 drops of peppermint essential oil with 3 drops of lavender oil and 1 tbsp. a spoonful of sea s alt, which will effectively help relieve inflammation, tension and pain in the feet. Add this mixture to a bowl of warm water in an amount sufficient to completely cover the feet. If your ankles are swollen, replace this mixture with peppermint with juniper or fir essential oil - these substances help activate blood circulation and intercellular metabolism in tissues. You can also use another mixture - 2 drops each of pine extract, peppermint and lavender. The duration of the bath is 10-15 minutes, this time is enough for the legs to relax and the healing substances to be absorbed into the skin. After the procedure, dry your feet thoroughly, apply a special foot cream and massage them. For greater effect, prepare a massage cream yourself: add 4 drops of mint and lavender to 10 ml (1 tablespoon) of a nourishing cream without perfume. As such a cream, you can use vegetable oil - olive or almond.
When you lie down, place a pillow under your feet so that your ankles and feet are elevated. It helps relieve swelling, pain and spasms.
Neck and shoulder pain
Poor posture, long hours of sitting at the computer, the habit of sleeping hunched over, on a soft mattress and a high pillow can cause pain in the neck and shoulders. These ways will help relieve pain and tension.
Self-massage of the neck
- Sitting or standing (as you prefer), press three fingers on the right and left sides of the neck - where it passes into the back of the head. Press firmly, closing your eyes, and take three deep breaths, concentrating on the place where your fingers touch your neck.
- Tilt your head back and squeeze the lateral muscles of the neck several times with your palms, you determine the density of compression yourself, depending on the degree of tension in the neck and shoulders: the stronger the tension, the denser the compression. If some small muscles remain “not covered”, complete the exercise by firmly stroking the sides of the neck up and down with your palms.
- Slowly tilt your head forward as you exhale as low as possible, while the muscles should remain in tension. Count to ten in this position, breathing deeply.
- Slowly raise your head as you inhale, freeze for 2 seconds, keeping your head straight and looking in front of you. Repeat exercises 2 and 3 twice, returning your head to the starting position between sets. In conclusion, gently clasp your neck from the sides with your palms and take a few breaths and exhalations, deep and measured. Repeat this self-massage at home regularly.
Aromatherapy for neck and shoulders
Mix 2 drops each of lavender and peppermint oils with 1 tbsp. 1 tablespoon (10 ml) unperfumed body lotion or cream (you can use olive or almond oil as a cream). Ask a loved one to massage your neck and shoulders with this massage oil. You can also use as an aromatic component a mixture of two drops of marjoram oil or an infusion, which is excellent for relieving muscle spasms, with two drops of pine or rose oil, which have a calming and relaxing effect.
Tennis ball massage
Stand with your back to the wall, press the tennis ball against the wall with your back, holding it between your shoulder blades. Bending your knees, squat, then rise, rolling the ball along different sections of the spine. In this case, sensations will arise from pleasant to noticeably painful - depending on which points the ball will press.
Shake the pain off your shoulders
If your shoulder hurts, grab it with your hand (left shoulder with your right hand) and tilt your head to the right, gently stretching the muscle. Then massage your hand from the neck to the fingertips, as if pulling the pain down and out.
Heartburn and indigestion: self-massage of the abdomen
The culprits of frequent indigestion are known: food on the run, heavy fatty foods, excess alcohol. These methods are good when there is a hurricane in the stomach.
Aromatherapy for abdomen
Massage with mint, ginger, chamomile or tangerine oils relieves discomfort. Mix 4 drops of one or two essential oils with 1 tbsp. spoon (10 ml) of unscented or regrowth body lotion. oils. Massage your belly with slow clockwise motions. Then moisten a towel with warm water and put it on your stomach for a couple of seconds - the remaining oil will quickly be absorbed into the skin.
Brew herbs - parsley, mint, chamomile. They can be drunk individually or mixed. They relieve spasms and soothe pain. But first consult with a gastroenterologist. Medicinal herbs are quite active, so you can't do without a consultant.
Stress is one of the most likely causes of sleep problems. High levels of stress hormones in the blood maintain a state of anxiety that prevents deep, sound sleep. Try self-massage and other ways.
Lavender and sandalwood oils are great for relaxing. Mix 6 drops of each with 1 tbsp. spoon of refined olive or almond oil and add this mixture to a bath of warm water. Then put 1-2 drops of lavender oil on your pillow before going to bed. Just don't overdo it or the scent will wake you up instead of calming you and helping you sleep.
Focus on your body
Try to switch your attention from the problems that bother you to your own body - mentally “feel” it from the tips of your toes to the neck. If your feet are cold, putting a warm heating pad on them will also help you focus on bodily sensations and relax as a result.
This method is especially helpful for people with a developed imagination. Close your eyes, do some relaxing breathing exercises, and then imagine how you put everything that complicates your life, irritates, saddens and worries, in a large closet. Mentally lock this closet, paint it a soothing, neutral color, and move as far away from it as possible.