For a country life to remain serene and bring only pleasure, do not forget about the possible dangers - be prepared for them in advance.
Many people don't even know that our flower beds have poisonous flowers. But after all, in the summer we often take care of and water the flower garden and remain safe and sound. However, it is better to know the enemy by sight. Especially if curious kids walk around the site, who tirelessly explore the world and put everything in their mouths.
The most toxic flowers quietly grown in front gardens since the time of our grandmothers are aconite, digitalis and colchicum. The fruits of euonymus, hellebore, kupena and lily of the valley are considered poisonous. Skin inflammation can be caused by sedum and castor bean, while rhododendron and boxwood contain toxic alkaloids.
Colchikum (autumn colchicum)
In early summer, the plant leaves leaves, then dry out, and pale pink flowers bloom in autumn. When working, remember that all parts of colchicum are poisonous.
Aconite (or wrestler)
Considered the most poisonous plant in Europe. Pollen, flowers, leaves and roots are dangerous. Even when making a bouquet through scratches and damage to the skin of the hands, the poison can penetrate into the bloodstream and cause poisoning.
Digitalis (or foxglove)
The leaves containing cardiac glycosides are especially dangerous. In therapeutic doses, they have a cardiotonic effect, and in elevated doses, they can cause an acute heart attack.
- Wear gloves. Use gardening gloves when handling ornamental flowers and shrubs.
- Wash your hands. Avoid getting milky juice on the mucous membranes, and after work, wash your face and wash your hands well.
- Pick berries from dangerous plants and shrubs in advance, especially if you have children growing up.
- Tell your child about the danger so that he understands an important rule: you can’t taste anything on the street and in the forest!
- Replant the poisonous plant out of the reach of children or fence it in.
- Check beforehand if the plant you are going to buy from the nursery is toxic. With reliable information, choose a suitable place to plant it and take precautions when handling and caring for it.
What to do?
If you see a child touching a poisonous plant, wash the baby's hands with running water and soap, then apply any nourishing fat-based cream. Most often, in case of poisoning by poisonous plants, it is enough to take a sorbent (such as activated carbon) with plenty of water. But only a doctor can prescribe the right treatment tactics, so it’s better not to self-medicate.
How to avoid getting bitten
- Don't rush to wave your hands, trying to drive away the arrogant sweet lovers. It's not safe.
- Don't leave sweets and fruits on the table. Be careful: cover containers with sweet drinks with lids. And before drinking from a glass, make sure it is free of insects. Wasp stings in the mouth and larynx are considered the most dangerous - due to swelling of the respiratory tract.
- Wipe your mouth after eating with a damp cloth.
- Don't walk barefoot through clover and flowering meadows.
- Stay away from wasp nests. Take pictures of old, abandoned ones - wasps love to settle in them again.
- Don't use scented cosmetics (their smell attracts insects).
At the beginning of summer, you need to be especially vigilant about ticks (from the second decade of May until the end of June). Ticks are much more common along forest paths and paths than in the surrounding forest. They are attracted to the smell of animals and people. The tick clings most often from tall grass or shrubs. If you find a tick, try to remove it immediately. No need to smear with oil, it is more convenient to remove the tick with tweezers, grabbing it closer to the proboscis and gently rotating around its axis.
The bee stings once, leaving the sting in the wound. The bite is painful, but useful. More than 500 bites can be fatal, but in people with an allergic reaction, even one causes anaphylactic shock.
Wasps are peaceful insects: they do not attack, but sting only for protection. But, if a person tries to drive the wasp away from sweet dishes, this is perceived by the insect as an attack, and then it will begin to defend itself.
Female bumblebees can sting, but usually use their weapons only when their lives are in danger. For example, if you inadvertently step on it or hold it in your hand.
Many people are afraid of these harmless insects, but in vain. Female hornets are peaceful unless their nests are destroyed, and the venom is less toxic than bees.
Insect bite help
- If a sting remains in the wound, first of all remove it with a scraping motion, avoiding pressing on the poisonous gland that is visible on the surface of the skin. Wasps and hornets do not leave a sting, but they can inflict several bites in a row. Gently clean the bite site with any disinfectant solution. Do not rub or scratch the bite site. Cooling compresses (with soda solution, ammonia or a piece of ice in a napkin), a half of a raw potato or onion applied to the bite site help to stop the spread of poison, relieve swelling and discomfort.
- Watch the state of the body, so as not to miss the possible onset of an allergic reaction. Alarm symptoms: hives, severe itching of the skin, shortness of breath, chills, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, spreading swelling, nausea, weakness, fainting.
- If an allergic reaction spreads quickly, call an ambulance immediately!
- When going to the country, be sure to put antihistamine tablets in your first aid kit. It will come in handy if it turns out that you are allergic to the venom of hymenoptera (bees, wasps, bumblebees, hornets), ants, etc. If the reaction is severe, you may need an injection.
Inventory and chemistry
Fertilizers, chemicals, pesticides, paints, oils, garden tools, store in a designated place. Keep fertilizers and garden chemicals away from medicines, food and animal feed. And always out of reach of children and pets! Read the instructions for the new drug - always and carefully! It is better to choose means of IV hazard class (low-dangerous for humans, animals, fish and beneficial insects). Close jars well, and for open bags, use special clips or pour chemicals into containers with tight-fitting lids. After pouring something from the “native” packaging, save it or write with a marker on a new jar (make a sticker) what was poured, when and how to use it. Don't forget to check the expiration date. Never leave sharp objects, tools or machinery that can move in the sight of a small child.
Cuts and bruises
For cuts with sharp garden tools, treat the wound with antiseptics. And show it to the doctor if after a few days the surrounding tissue is swollen, sore, or shows signs of suppuration.
When an injury is caused by a rusty nail or a piece of glass, earth is in the wound, see a doctor. You may need to inject anti-tetanus serum.
On the first day, apply cold to the damaged area, and heat on the second and subsequent days. Severe bruises with extensive hematoma should be shown to the doctor. And you can get an initial consultation about your further actions by calling the Ambulance.
- Wear protective clothing when working with chemicals. On the face - a respirator or a medical bandage, it is better to wear goggles on the eyes, and rubber gloves on the hands.
- Use a separate container for preparing the working solution - preferably glass or plastic, not metal. Do not mix several drugs at once. After work, the dishes can be washed with soda solution under running water.
- Do not drink, eat or smoke while processing plants.
- Keep in mind the direction of the wind when spraying fruit trees so that the spray does not hit your face or between the rows, because chemicals poison not only pests, they destroy beneficial insects and accumulate in the soil.
- Do not treat berry crops with pesticides after flowering: strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.
- After processing, wash your hands, wash your face and rinse your mouth.
- If signs of poisoning appear (nausea, dizziness, rapid breathing, vomiting, clouding of consciousness), the victim must be taken to the hospital.
How to properly pull out a tick: instructions