Poisonous indoor plants. What not to start on the windowsill

House 2022
Poisonous indoor plants. What not to start on the windowsill
Poisonous indoor plants. What not to start on the windowsill

Do you like to plant flowers on your windowsills? Then you definitely need to know which poisonous indoor plants can harm your he alth! Be careful!

Poisonous houseplants: 10 flowers that can kill you

Name of poisonous indoor plants and photo



It is believed that cyclamen in the house helps to drive away bad dreams and fears, and it should be placed in the bedroom at the head of the bed. We will not argue about the magical power of Cyclamen, but we need to warn about its poisonous properties. Sometimes it is recommended to instill cyclamen root juice from sinusitis, and this should not be done in any case. Not only can you burn the mucous membrane, you risk getting a temperature, sore throat and shortness of breath. The most poisonous parts are the seeds and roots of the plant, the fresh juice of which can irritate or inflame the skin.



Poisonous plant bulbs that contain the alkaloid lycorine. In small doses, lycorine has an expectorant effect, and in large doses it causes vomiting. If suddenly a leaf of a plant breaks off and milky juice comes out, it is better to wash your hands thoroughly and not touch your eyes with them.



The plant is able to improve the chemical composition of indoor air, but we do not recommend rushing to put it in the bedroom or nursery. The juice of the plant is poisonous, especially that contained in the stem. It can provoke serious digestive and respiratory disorders, as well as cause burns if it comes into contact with the skin of the face or hands. If you have a plant at home, it is better to take care of it with gloves. By the way, it is generally forbidden to grow Dieffenbachia in kindergartens.



Yes, we did not mix anything up. This plant is, of course, very useful. On the one hand, geranium is an excellent antiseptic, helps relieve stress and tension, relieves pain in otitis media and tonsillitis. However, there are people for whom the smell of geranium can provoke a severe asthma attack and cause an allergic reaction. Geranium (as one of the poisonous indoor flowers) is also contraindicated for pregnant women, people with low blood sugar, young children, and those taking birth control.



They are not poisonous, but dangerous only because of the thorns, which can be pricked and get a small abscess in the worst case. But some types of cactus, such as Trichocereus, contain hallucinogens that can cause paralysis of the central nervous system, their effect is similar to the effect of the drug LSD (many have read Carlos Castaneda).



Cactus-like species of Euphorbia and Europhobia are indeed poisonous.

Euphorbia juice can cause burns, and if ingested, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness and burns of the mucous membranes. Strange, but these plants are very often seen on the windowsill in school classrooms.



The most valuable and beloved aloe has two poisonous brothers - Aloe striped and Aloe awesome. All parts of these plants are dangerous, and mainly because most types of aloe are considered medicinal, and they are very often used as a home remedy. So, striped and frightening can not be used for medicinal purposes! They can cause stomach and uterine bleeding and, in pregnant women, cause miscarriage.



All parts of this plant contain poison. Touching the hydrangea is completely safe, but if the hydrangea juice is accidentally ingested, it will cause increased sweating, worsen blood circulation, stomach pain, itching, nausea and muscle weakness.

Poisonous plants that can be found in the country.



The juice and berries of the plant are poisonous. The juice can cause swelling and soreness in the mouth and throat, and conjunctivitis if it comes into contact with the eyes.

Poisonous houseplants - some tips

  • If you have small children or pets (especially cats), it's best not to buy poisonous houseplants at all.
  • Very often milky juice is poisonous. If you see that when the stem is broken, the plant secretes white juice, it is better not to touch it, and even more so do not scratch your face or rub your eyes with your hands.
  • If plants are already growing in your home and you didn't know they were poisonous, keep them away from children, and in the case of a cat, try covering the base of the pot with cling film to prevent the animal from digging up the soil. By the way, sometimes cats chew leaves to quench their thirst, so pour plenty of water into her bowl so that she does not touch poisonous indoor flowers.

Popular topic